Renouncing lies about God that we believe in error by Nancy LeMon
Note from Bible study taught on July 2, 2010
Nancy LeMon spoke about how we are deceived and God wants us to move from darkness to light.
One of her favorite books is The Bondage Breaker by Neil Anderson and much of what she taught came from her reading of this book. We get caught up listing things that are not Biblical. When many are first saved a light goes on and God opens our eyes. We keep learning and learning more and more. We need to keep feeding ourselves from the Word of God or we will begin to slip back to old ways of thinking and acting
GOD’S WORD IS THE TRUTH. We can’t believe what we feel, we have to believe what God says.
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Jesus is the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE. Without these things we have nothing. The devil wants to defeat us, but we have authority over him.
John 16:13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
The Holy Spirit helps us to find the truth. We need the Spirit’s guidance.
John 17:17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
God’s Word is truth.
Ephesians 4:14-15 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ—
Jesus and His Word is the foundation for truth.
How do you know the truth? We learn it from the Word of God.
2 Timothy 2:26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.
Make sure our lives line up with the Word of God. The Word, the Truth, will help us to come to our senses so we are not taken captive by the enemy.
Revelation 12:9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
The enemy now tries to feed us lies and keep us from God’s perfect will for our lives. We need to deal with the fears he places in our mind and renounce the lies.
Nancy then shared From The Bondage Breaker By Neil Anderson: some of the lies and the truths from the Word that we can use to counter the lies
1. THE LIE: God is distant and uninterested. THE TRUTH: My Father God is intimate and involved. Psalm 139:1-18
The devil wants us to think that God does not care, but God does care about every aspect of our lives.
2. THE LIE: God is insensitive and uncaring. THE TRUTH: My Father God is kind and compassionate. Psalm 103:8-14
3. THE LIE: God is stern and demanding. THE TRUTH: My Father God is accepting and filled with joy and love. Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Romans 15:7 Therefore receive one another, just as Christ also received us, to the glory of God.
4. THE LIE: God is passive and cold. THE TRUTH: My Father God is warm and affectionate. Isaiah 40:11 He will feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and gently lead those who are with young. Hosea 11:3-4 I taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by their arms; but they did not know that I healed them. I drew them with gentle cords, with bands of love, and I was to them as those who take the yoke from their neck. I stooped and fed them.
5. THE LIE: God is absent or too busy for me. THE TRUTH: My Father God is always with me and eager to be with me. Jeremiah 31:20 Is Ephraim My dear son? Is he a pleasant child? For though I spoke against him, I earnestly remember him still; therefore My heart yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him, says the LORD. Ezekiel 34:11-16 , Hebrews 13:5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
6. THE LIE: God is never satisfied with what I do, impatient, or angry THE TRUTH: My Father God is patient and slow to anger. Exodus 34:6 And the LORD passed before him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
7. THE LIE: God is mean, cruel, or abusive. THE TRUTH: My Father God is loving, gentle, and protective of me. Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying: “Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you. Isaiah 42:3 A bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench; He will bring forth justice for truth.
8. THE LIE: God is trying to take all of the fun out of life. THE TRUTH: My Father God is trustworthy and wants to give me a full life; His will is good, perfect, and acceptable. Lamentations 3:22-23 Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. John 10:10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
9. THE LIE: God is controlling or manipulative. THE TRUTH: My Father God is full of grace and mercy; He gives me freedom to fail. Luke 15:11-16 Then He said: “A certain man had two sons. And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.’ So he divided to them his livelihood. And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living. But when he had spent all, there arose a severe famine in that land, and he began to be in want. Then he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would gladly have filled his stomach with the pods that the swine ate, and no one gave him anything. Hebrews 4:15-16 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
10. THE LIE: God is condemning or unforgiving. THE TRUTH: My Father God is tenderhearted and forgiving; His heart and arms are always open to me. Psalm 130:1-4 Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD; Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared. Luke 15:17-24 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.”’ “And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him. And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ “But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they began to be merry.
11 THE LIE: God is nit-picking, exacting, or perfectionistic. THE TRUTH: My Father God is committed to my growth and proud of me as His growing Child. Romans 8:28-29 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to beconformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 2 Corinthians 7:4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation. Hebrews 12:5-11 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: “My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the LORD loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives.” If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us,and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
No matter what lie the enemy wants us to believe, it is important to realize that we are the apple of God’s eye – the apple is a Hebrew term for pupil.
Deuteronomy 32:10 He found him in a desert land and in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled him, He instructed him, He kept him as the apple of His eye.
Don’t believe the lies of the enemy, search the Word of God for the truth about what God thinks about you, and believe that.
Praying your day is blessed!
Heather’s Blog Recent Posts
- John 14:1-14 – Many mansions, the Way, the Truth, and the Life taught by Pastor Don Moore
- Multiplying disciples/Discipleship identification – notes from discipleship class taught by Pastor Don Moore
- Multiplying Disciples – notes from Discipleship class taught by Pastor Don Moore
- Syria – letter from trapist nuns
- John 14:1-11 taught by Pastor Don Moore with comments from Rabbi Michael Zeitler
- Notes from homily taught by Father Raphael Iannone taught August 25, 2013 – Luke 13:22-30 – The last shall be first, the first last
- Homily – Luke 13:22-30 – The last shall be first, the first last taught by Father Raphael Iannone
- Notes from a Homily on Luke 12:49-53 by Father Raphael Iannone
- Facing Your Jerusalem – transcript Say Amen show 161 taught by Pastor Don Moore
- Mammon – homily by Father Raphael Iannone