|I get to do a Bible study for the church today. Please keep me in your prayers, that God will use this to help people. I know that I am often too hard on myself, forgetting that the tests that God gives us in this life are for our own growth and spiritual walk.
Have a blessed Sunday!
Bible Study for August 6, 2006
I have never loved tests. Just the thought of tests can send me into fits of panic. Doesn’t matter if I have studied well or been surprised, I tend to break out in a cold sweat at the mention of tests. Yet, God uses tests in our lives.
I used to think it was bizarre that God would have to test us. Doesn’t He already know if we will pass or fail the test? Of course He does. His tests are not for his information, but for our information. The tests clearly show us where we are in the walk of faith. The best part of God’s testing of us is that he wants us to ace the test, and He will keep giving us the same test over and over again until we finally get it right.
Beth Moore said this bout God’s tests in our lives in her study The Patriarchs:
The best thing about God’s tests is that they are open book.
I thought we would look at the tests that Abram had in his walk with God. And then show you God’s report card about Abram’s tests. Perhaps we can learn a bit about ourselves and some of our tests. I really am beginning to realize that it is better to learn some of my lessons from the Word of God rather than learning them in the School of Hard Knocks.
What kind of grade did God give Abraham? Lets look at Hebrews 11:8-12 – Notice, no mention of the detour, no mention of bringing his father with him. No mention of the trip to Egypt or Ishmael, and Hebrews 11:17-19 . God recorded the acts of faith that Abraham did, not the mistakes. In fact, if you study the people’s lives mentioned in Hebrews 11, comparing them with their stories in the Old Testament, you will see that in God’s grade book only the successes are recorded. God takes these records out and points out where people acted in faith, where they believed Him. He probably would put the acts of faith prominently displayed on his refrigerator for all to see.
Now turn with me to Hebrews 11:41 that verse hasn’t been written yet. Beth Moore, in her study, Believing God had us write our own verse for that. By faith (fill in your name) did….. What will God write about you in Hebrews 11? I know he is faithfully recording every step you walk in faith.
Our tests can become part of our testimony as we learn to walk in faith.
Heather’s Blog Recent Posts
- John 14:1-14 – Many mansions, the Way, the Truth, and the Life taught by Pastor Don Moore
- Multiplying disciples/Discipleship identification – notes from discipleship class taught by Pastor Don Moore
- Multiplying Disciples – notes from Discipleship class taught by Pastor Don Moore
- Syria – letter from trapist nuns
- John 14:1-11 taught by Pastor Don Moore with comments from Rabbi Michael Zeitler
- Notes from homily taught by Father Raphael Iannone taught August 25, 2013 – Luke 13:22-30 – The last shall be first, the first last
- Homily – Luke 13:22-30 – The last shall be first, the first last taught by Father Raphael Iannone
- Notes from a Homily on Luke 12:49-53 by Father Raphael Iannone
- Facing Your Jerusalem – transcript Say Amen show 161 taught by Pastor Don Moore
- Mammon – homily by Father Raphael Iannone